What are the top newborn care essentials?
Newborn care essentials include various items and products that can help you care for your baby during the early days and weeks.
Here are some newborn care essentials:
- Diapers. Stock up on disposable or cloth diapers, depending on your preference. Newborns require frequent diaper changes, so having an ample supply is essential.
- Baby wipes. Choose gentle and hypoallergenic baby wipes for cleaning your baby’s bottom during diaper changes.
- Diaper rash cream. Keep a diaper rash cream or ointment on hand to soothe and protect your baby’s delicate skin from diaper rash.
- Baby clothing. Have a selection of comfortable and soft newborn-sized clothing, including onesies, sleepers, socks, and hats.
- Swaddle blankets. Swaddle blankets are designed to securely wrap your baby, providing them with a sense of security and warmth.
- Burp cloths. Keep a stack of burp cloths or small towels nearby to clean up spit-up or drool during and after feeding sessions.
- Baby bath essentials. Gather baby-safe shampoo, body wash, towels, and a baby bathtub for gentle and safe bathing experiences.
- Feeding supplies. If you plan to breastfeed, nursing bras, breast pads, and nipple cream can be helpful. If bottle-feeding, have a supply of bottles, nipples, and formula if needed.
- Baby nail clippers or files. Trim or file your baby’s nails regularly to prevent scratching. Opt for baby-specific nail clippers or files with rounded edges.
- Thermometer. Keep a reliable thermometer to monitor your baby’s temperature in case of fever or illness.
- Baby monitor. A baby monitor with audio and/or video capabilities allows you to keep an eye on your baby while they sleep in another room.
- Baby car seat. Install a rear-facing car seat in your vehicle to ensure safe transportation for your newborn.
- Breast pump (if breastfeeding). If you plan to breastfeed, having a breast pump can be beneficial for expressing milk and building a supply.
- Baby carrier or sling. Consider using a baby carrier or sling to keep your baby close and allow for hands-free mobility.
Remember that every family’s needs and preferences may vary, so adapt this list to suit your specific circumstances. It’s also helpful to consult with healthcare professionals or experienced parents for further guidance on newborn care essentials.
For more tips for new moms, explore this resource from WebMD.
El centro de ensayos digitales PowerMom platform invites pregnant people to collect and contribute important pregnancy-related health information through app-based surveys and wearable sensors. PowerMom Connect is a new, paid sub-study within the PowerMom platform. It is focused on supporting mothers during the postpartum period.