What do you Learn in Lamaze class?
Are you a new mom wondering, “what do you learn in Lamaze class?”
Lamaze is a childbirth education method that focuses on empowering new moms and their partners through education and relaxation techniques. It was developed in the 1940s by French obstetrician Dr. Ferdinand Lamaze. This method gained popularity in the United States in the 1960s.
The Lamaze technique emphasizes the natural process of childbirth and provides expectant parents with information about the various stages of labor, pain management options, and strategies for coping with labor pains. The primary goal is to help individuals feel confident, informed, and actively involved in their birthing experience.
Lamaze classes typically cover a range of topics, including:
- Understanding the normal process of labor and birth. Participants learn about the stages of labor, signs of progress, and what to expect during each stage.
- Breathing techniques. Lamaze emphasizes specific breathing patterns, such as slow, deep breathing, and patterned breathing, to help manage pain and promote relaxation.
- Relaxation techniques. Expectant parents will learn various relaxation exercises, including visualization, massage, and the use of focal points, to reduce tension and promote a calm mindset during labor.
- Positions and movement during labor. Lamaze encourages freedom of movement and finding positions that aid in labor progress and help manage discomfort.
- Partner involvement and support. Lamaze emphasizes the role of the birth partner in providing support, comfort, and advocacy during labor and birth.
- Making informed decisions. The Lamaze approach encourages individuals to be active participants in their care, providing tools for evaluating medical interventions and making informed decisions that align with their preferences and values.
Lamaze classes can be taken in-person or online, usually in a group setting, and are often led by certified Lamaze educators. The techniques learned in Lamaze classes are designed to help individuals approach childbirth with confidence, reduce anxiety, and promote a positive birthing experience.
To learn more about Lamaze classes and childbirth education, explore resources from lamaze.org
The PowerMom platform invites pregnant people to collect and contribute important pregnancy-related health information through app-based surveys and wearable sensors. PowerMom Connect is a new, paid sub-study within the PowerMom platform. It is focused on supporting mothers during the postpartum period.